Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Spirit & Wind

P134 of “Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire”:

“A basic sign of revival is that the wind is allowed to blow where it will.”

Here is a short but sweet statement, and one that leads to a question: “In your life, how free is the wind to blow where it will?” A penetrating question, isn’t it?

I ask the same question of myself. I wonder if this question might not reveal a lot about the true level of submission we each bring to our relationship with God. Rules are so much simpler than the wind. If I adhere to a set of ‘do’s’ and ‘don’ts’ then it feels like I have some level of control of my life. Giving full access to my life’s values and directions is a different story. Then it feels like nothing is secure. In that arrangement the wind can blow anytime in any direction, and I lose all (sense of) control in my life.

In regards to a topic that appears as simple as prayer, I have found that I am much less willing to let the wind blow where it will than I thought. For example, I have had some bad experiences in church environments that used Spirit language a lot yet who lost their credibility by having too many mixed-motive people abuse the freedom that was meant for the Spirit. My response? Over the years I have narrowed the box in my life in how much or in what ways the Spirit is allowed to move.

But if I am going to experience revival in my life, the wind must be allowed to blow where it will. For me, that has included facing some of my wounds from past experiences and trusting that God is still God and that I need to be open for God to use me and speak to me however He chooses. This has been scary for me, yet necessary if revival is going to happen.

Questions: Is the wind of the Spirit of God allowed to blow where it will in your life? If not, what are the compartments of your life that currently have the door closed? Why? What would it take for you to open those to God?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have been studying/reading through FWFF in our small groups over the last month. I feel that we collectively, and myself especially, have been revitalized in our desire to cry out to God and fellowship with him, partnering with him in his vision, and believing that He will begin/continue to move. It has been extremely encouraging and refreshing.

Brent

However, this chapter,and your post provide the "temporizing" reality: if we desire for our relationship with God to have true substance than we must relinquish control of our lives to him. It is much easier to get excited about growing into a deeper relationship with God, looking forward to seeing him work miracles in/through/around us. But God must have the creative control and must be allowed to unfold his greater vision. This is the hard part to live out much less get excited about.

I know I don't naturally get excited about trusting what my eyes can't see. This is especially hard to live out because I have come to understand that all too often God works best through the dark periods in my life. It forces me to answer the question: do I genuinely care enough about this relationship with God to allow him to move as he wills even if that means bringing me into the depths of the night and all the pain and difficulty it brings?