Friday, August 8, 2008

Prayer and Filling of the Spirit

P96 of "Fresh Wind, Fresh Fire":

"Ephesians 5.18 says 'be always being filled with the Spirit.' The disciples in the NT needed regular, fresh infillings. When they were under attack, they received fresh power, fresh courage, fresh fire from the Holy Spirit. Our store of spiritual power apparently dissipates with time."

“Always being filled with the Spirit.” What does that mean to you? What does it look like when we are filled with the Spirit? What does it look like when we are not? These are key questions, especially if Cymbala is right when he suggests that even a full spiritual tank doesn’t last, that “our store of spiritual power apparently dissipates with time.” So how do we know if we are full or empty? How do we receive fresh power, fresh courage, and fresh fire from the Spirit when we most badly need it?

Here is one way we could think about it. In Matthew 3.13-17 we see the Spirit come upon Jesus in power, and in a way that would seem to qualify as being “filled with the Spirit.” What did it look like for Jesus to be filled with the Spirit?

We get a clue in v17 when a voice from Heaven says, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Apparently being filled with the Spirit means, among other things, that we have a deep intellectual and emotional understanding that we are sons and daughters of God, and that we are pleased and accepted by the King of this world.

How does that relate to the need we have for fresh power, fresh courage, and fresh fire? I would suggest that if we actually believed what Jesus heard in our own lives, and that the truth of that claim made its way to the core, we would get all of the above.

Where does real power come from? When we know that the ultimate source of power in this world has called us to Himself and into this world. Where does real courage come from? When we know that “He that is within us is greater than what is in the world,” and that the King of the universe has our back and is cheering us on. Where does fresh fire come from? When we realize in new ways the measure of cost and sacrifice that was made so that we could be called children of God.

I imagine that what Jesus heard in Matthew 3 from Heaven was very similar to what the disciples heard in the deepest part of their soul when they were under attack. “You are my sons, whom I love; with you I am well pleased.” I believe this is where their fresh fire and fresh courage came to go further than they ever dreamed and to take risks far greater than they ever thought they could.

You and I are no different than the disciples. We have access to the same Spirit. Our spiritual power dissipates just like theirs did – this is the inevitable outcome of being sinful people who get disconnected from the power base. But spiritual power is also available to us – when we are filled with the Spirit.

“God, teach us how to walk in step with your Spirit. Fill every crevice and crack in our hearts with the wonder of your goodness, power and might. May we have experiences of depth and reality where who we are and whose we are comes to light in new ways. Send us into the riskiest places on earth, and then fill us with fresh power, fresh courage, and fresh fire.”

1 comment:

Mace said...

It is very obvious to me when I'm filled with the Spirit by my thoughts, feelings and actions. When I'm Spirit filled I'm happier and treat people with more love and respect. I usually recognize my "spiritual tank being low" by the way I treat my wife. Unfortunately, because I'm closer with her than anyone else, I take things out on her. When I catch myself not being loving to her, I usually recognize that I also have not been feeling close to God. It also comes accross in my praise and prayers. I'm always grateful for all God does in my life. However, when I'm filled with the Spirit, my praise and appreciation is much greater. I thank God everyday but probably don't always feel it. Sometimes I thank and praise him just because I know I'm supposed to. But when the Spirit is within me, it's a heart felt praise. I realize the being filled with the Spirit is directly related to how much time I spend in prayer...thoughtful prayer.